Monday, January 24, 2011

Myths About Dental Implants

In spite of the fact that dental implants have been used successfully by qualified dentists for more than 40 years, there's a surprising amount of incorrect and negative information out there.

Here are three of the most common myths patients mention when we discuss the option of tooth implants – and the reality I then share with them. I invite you to contact my Los Angeles Dental office today to discuss your dental implant needs.

1. Dental implants are painful.
False. In fact, after having dental implants placed, the majority of my patients tell me it was easier than they thought it would be. When considering dental implants, I recommend your main consideration be whether or not the procedure will give you the best result for your unique situation. For the procedure itself, I recommend IV sedation dentistry, after which most patients only need Tylenol and/or Advil. For those who are more susceptible to pain, I can prescribe a stronger painkiller such as Vicodin.

2. Dental Implants are expensive!
Again, false. Comparing long-term costs, having an implant is much less expense than a bridge because a bridge will be replaced every 7 -15 years whereas a dental implant will most likely never need to be replaced. In terms of short term costs, dental implants are roughly the same cost as an average 3-tooth bridge.

3. Dental implants take a long time!
For me – and the majority of my patients – this, too, is false. Implant placement typically spans takes 4 to 16 weeks, with a significant portion of that time spent simply waiting for the bone to heal around the post. During that period, you will have a natural-looking, firmly set, temporary tooth in place. I recommend comparing the time to that of a typical bridge which takes 3 to 6 weeks, while also factoring the benefits of an implant vs. a bridge.

I've made implants a specialty in my dental practice simply because they are so often the best solution to my patients' needs. If you think this option might be appropriate for you, please contact my office for a consultation.



Posted by Beverly Hills Dentist 
Expert Dental Care. Gentle Dental Techniques. 
Dedicated to your health and well-being. 
Call or email today!
310.659.5399
8920 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, CA  90211
Insurance Accepted

No comments:

Post a Comment